She wore high heels which could make a hell of sound while running, she was in a parking area. She felt like she was being followed, a dark shadow of a person, maybe a man, she thought. That person was now close to her and the footsteps sounded like a man's shoe.
Then suddenly the shadow and the footsteps have vanished. She felt relieved and got near her car and when she inserted the key in the car’s lock, she heard a woman yelling for help. She ran towards the sound of the woman and when she got there, she saw a woman’s dead body. She came to know that the woman was killed recently and she’s also sure that the killer is somewhere in here only.
So she rushed to her car, now her car key is missing. She couldn’t help but just cry loudly and at the same time, the footsteps of the unknown person were nearing her. She hid behind a car and after a few minutes, she can’t hear any footsteps.
So she took a peek out and there was none, the way was clear. She took a deep breath and wiped her sweats with a kerchief. Then sat there for a few seconds, to balance her breath and closed her eyes.
A few minutes later, there was a voice she can hear, which was right next to her ear,
Then when she turned, she saw a gun aiming at her head, she was now so damn frightened and also her sweats gathered again on her face. When she was about to tell something, she shot her!
I’m Anastasia, everyone calls me Ana. My best friend is Zola, she used to show up to my home out of the blue every time and she did the same now too. She sat on the sofa and glared at me.
“See, I told you before itself, like more or less warned you about him, your boyfriend”
“Figured you might say that. You're living in a day dream. Get up and watch the news"
When I looked up at the newspaper, it was there as she said. I cried a lot and Zola was there for me to console me.
After a few days, Diane came up with a trip to an island, she's one of our friends. First Zola and I didn’t accept it, but however, Diane didn’t give up.
So we went to the island she mentioned and really, it was a good refreshment to get rid of him out of my mind.
Then we got separate rooms in a luxurious apartment. After a few hours, the bell rang and also knocked on the door harshly. When I got the door, there was a little girl who looked so damn cute. She said,
She smirked at me. I was just confused and there was a group of people standing right in front of me and behind me. Before I could shout, the person from my behind hit me in the head really hard, then went blank.
After a few minutes, I came to consciousness and saw myself with tied hands and another two girls in a slightly dark room.
Slightly I could hear a voice of a woman having a conversation with a man, she said,
“See I said to you, only to bring one girl but three girls? Seriously?!”
“If you need take, if you don't. Let me know"
"You'll kill the rest, right?"
"Obviously"
“Well, I'll take that blonde. See you around”
“Maybe”
That’s it, that another girl and myself are dead for sure but the three means... is it Diane, Zola and me!
Then they’re taking away Diane and gonna kill me and Zola.
Oh My God! This isn’t happening for real, it's just a dream, get up Ana. Get the hell out of your bed Ana. I pinched myself for checking and no it's not a dream, it's for real!
They took Diane and we're left alone in that slight darkroom which was a suitable room for a one person to live.
There was only silent for minutes and then I got up and rushed towards the door, it was unlocked. I just told Zola that we have a chance to escape, she didn't give any response to me in return. I got that she was so scared to hell, so I consoled her and then after a few seconds she got her strength.
When we checked up outside, it was a dead-end on straight and then at right, there was a man who was so fit, like an army man and it looked like he's a danger for us, who would make us into a ball and throw us away. Also, he was with a gun but when he got a call, he just kept the gun in the bin and a second later he got angry, so he just furiously hit the bin and then the gun went into the trash. He turned towards the other side of us, so we just checked the left side and it was clear.
We took the left path and ran away but while we were gonna take a turn, that army man who was on the opposite side, saw us and tried to get the gun but couldn’t, so he called up, I think so his boss or his men.
Then I heard a piece of familiar music, so I just grabbed Zola's hand and started to chase the music to find where it came from and I had a feeling like there would be someone who could help us in this situation.
She's there, where the music will lead us to, the one I knew. It was like going into a maze when I was chasing the music.
The sun rises, it was so beautiful to see it and also Zola became enthusiastic. We held hands, even tighter, the more we came near to the music, the more the way became smaller.
Some ways were so drastic and the others were okay but when we came into a way where the trees were fully covered with flowers, there was fresh air, I could feel the cold wind which was comforting us, it was so good.
When we took a left, there the musicians were and to the right, there was a bar which looked like it was built some days before.
Got inside it, the bar was so small, not big as I thought, to the left, there were tables arranged and neatly kept and to the right there the bartender was, plus there were so many kinds of wines.
Searched everywhere for my friend Vanessa but couldn’t get a catch of her, she said she’s working here but I don't think so.
Even though I shouted for Vanessa and then, there came a waitress who turned up so fast to us and got a hold of our hands and dragged us to the ‘only staff’ room.
The room contained a sofa and a coffee machine. She sat on the sofa furiously and took a cigarette pack from her pocket and she showed us, we said no. Then for minutes, she puffed and then, she said,
“What in the hell are you doing here, Ana?”
I stared at her for seconds and then said the whole story, she said she could help us but only for a few days. I can sense her fear in her eyes itself, she knew who kidnapped us but she didn't tell us who was it. In her fright, she just puffed more and more. Then in the evening, we went to Vanessa’s home until then we stayed up in the bar.
Her home was as usual as mine’s, it was a comfortable place for a family to live. She provided us everything and at night, when everyone was asleep, heard a sound like someone’s getting the door open and close.
When I got down to see, there was Zola. She smiled at me and dragged me to the room and then we slept. Next morning, the news said that there was a dead body found near the gravestone. Hearing this Vanessa said:
“Woah! doesn’t seem like today’s a good start of my day”
Zola went away from us saying that she needs fresh air.
Vanessa,
“See Ana, I know it's kinda weird but doesn’t it strikes you like why in the hell Zola’s shoe is covered with mud all over and in that the news, they said that the body was buried”
“So, you think that my best friend would have done that?”
“No, I'm not yet sure but even though just, give a think about it, okay!”
“Ugh!”
When Zola showed up, we ate breakfast and then Vanessa let us know that her shift starts from the evening, so she’ll be with us until then. We chatted, played and had a great time.
Then at noon, there was a call. Zola attended it and at the other end there was a computer voice said:
“If you wanna save your friend Diane and your lives, come to the place which I sent on your mob. Alone”
Zola and I left Vanessa’s place, we didn’t let her know about this but somehow I had a feeling like she knew it. We travelled to that place by taxi.
That place was an abandoned factory, looks like it's been haunted. When we heard a cry which was Diane’s voice, we ran into the factory and there we saw Diane with tied hands and legs with a chair. We untied it and then there was a voice which came from the front of us, we couldn’t see anything because the doors were closed plus the lights were off too. The voice was so familiar to us, it was a woman’s voice, she said that:
“Well, well. Didn’t think so, you two would show up, because you knew that I had known you two for like years. Aww... come on remove those masks of yours I knew very well about you guys"
"Get to the point"
Zola said with a firm voice.
"Oh! Ok. For saving Diane you came up but so sorry guys… you’re LATE”
"No, that's not what we asked. What is that you need? Why kidnap us?"
She didn't say anything but shot Diane in her head and the blood splashed over us, my hands were fully covered up with Diane’s blood and then when I looked up at Zola, she looked like as she's gonna cry.
But then in a hurry when I tried to get that gun from that woman, she slipped and shot Zola’s right hand. She was bleeding so much and within a second the doors were crushed by the police and they said:
“Weapon’s down, Ms Vine”
She was handcuffed and taken away by the police. Vanessa was there waiting for us outside, she said that,
“I somehow came to know about what you heard in that call and then I followed you. When I heard a gunshot, I couldn't hold myself. So, called the police.”
Zola was taken to the hospital and the scene was clear now. I asked Vanessa to come along with me to talk privately, she did as I said, then I cried a lot on her shoulder as I lost my friend Diane, then just said her a 'bye' and while I was walking away from her, I saw a sniper down, took it and turned towards Vanessa and shot her.
Don’t worry we had a long time to come here, so there’s no way the police could get her now, I pity her, she shouldn't have eavesdropped on us then. She messed it up by bringing the police, if they knew who we were they will be sure to separate us but hush now Vanessa, before they could do anything I made you attain deep sleep. So it won’t be a problem for me either to you. Then went to the hospital to meet up with Zola.
In the hospital, she was admitted to a room, when I tried to get into the room where she was, the nurse stopped me and said to wait but I can’t. So, got into the room by breaking it and at the next second, there was a call to one of them in that room, when Zola figured it who it was, she gave me a sight of look and then that person too. When I took the gun out and pointed at that guy and we said together
“Happy dreams sweetie, sleep tight”.
I shot him and as well as everyone in that room too. Zola and I smiled at each other, then we rushed out of the hospital.
First of all, Zola was the one who got into this thing, she was actually bullied by her own parents which was totally cruel and made her think that she should make them fear towards her.
And that's how she joined where we kill person's for money, not long after but soon I came to know about it and tagged along with her as I loved to do it and also our first target was a woman who made our group link leak out, there Zola’s sister showed up. I thought she wouldn’t kill her sister because of those emotions but she did kill her own sister without any tears, I didn't expect it.
We somehow managed the fingerprints to be like my boyfriend's.
Then Zola showed up to give me information about our next target but alas! My parents were home, so we acted up like that's when she said that my boyfriend murdered her sister.
Then after few minutes, she came near me and informed about our target who was a man misbehaving from our boss, we did and buried him in the gravestone at late night, I said Zola to clean up her shoes but she didn’t, this was all happened while we were being chased by the other gang who was an enemy of us and that too whom we killed is the head of one of our enemy’s.
Next, I killed Vanessa because I don’t need her anymore, plus she came to know everything, didn’t wanna screw up.
Then our third target was a doctor who was giving information about us to an agent, he knew about us cause we go to him a lot when we’re hurt.
*********
It was a late-night, we’re smoking on the roof of the tallest building of all, we puffed so much and then came to the end of the roof, was standing on the edge and left the cigarette down, it fell on a dead woman whom we pushed down to death. She's Miss Vine, she messed with us and we couldn't just let her go.
None can get near us. We felt like we’re the one who could watch the stars, how beautiful it shined in the sky, felt happy to be here. I thought this was the last but not yet, our boss gave another mission to complete, he believes us and so do we. We do this for our own pleasure and power.
IMAGE - Sharon McCutcheon @unsplash